We are pleased to announce that our pilot project over the past year has been successful, and here are some of the ways that PowerRealty.ca has been able to "go green."
1. Online Real Estate Forms. We send these electronically to our customers, who can then choose which forms they would like to print out, and which ones they will just save on their email or hard drive.
2. Electronic Fax Numbers to receive documents. This again reduces the amount of paper used in a normal transaction by half. Most agents rarely print out anything faxed to them, unless it needs to be signed and sent back.
3. Web Marketing. Rather than send thousands of postcards and other marketing material to our clients, we are connecting with them on Social Media like Facebook, Twitter, Linked in, etc.
4. Document Storage and Retrieval. We have a sophisticated network that allows the agents, administrators, and broker to review, store, and access all documents required in the brokerage. All of this is accessible online via secured access.
5. Recycling. Our brokerage makes a special point of recycling much of the remaining waste produced in our business. We have a system for recycling our paper, cardboard, pop cans, etc. We also recycle our shredded document files after they are held for the standard, seven-year compliance period. Because our business is so technology intensive, we upgrade our computers more often than normal. Our computers will either become a hand me down, a donation to a local school kid, or be recycled at the Drumheller Waste Management Facility.
6. Cleaning up our Community. We have organized the cleanup of many vacant sites in the valley, including Hunts Place Park, the CN park across from Winks/Husky, the site East of Winks/Husky, and the Imperial Oil site between Allied Distributors new and old locations. We feel is is our chance to make a huge impact and show appreciation to the community that supports our brokerage.
7. Reduce Energy Usage. Although our brokerage is in work mode from 6 a.m. until midnight, we have many electronic energy saving devices such as dimmers, programmable thermostats, motion sensors, photocell sensors, etc in the buildings we own and manage. For the properties we manage, we have been upgrading our old gas mowers to new push 'reel cutter' style mowers, and collecting rain water in stylish rain barrels located in strategic locations.
8. Green Cleaning Products. We now only buy eco-friendly items for our brokerage and for the properties we manage that seem to be just as effective as the previous options.
9. Skype Meetings. Our clients love Skype meetings! We use this web-based medium for both telephone and video calls to allow our clients to contact us quickly and easily. Rather than travel for hours, and burn 100 gallons of fuel, Gary Chambers (President) and myself choose to Skype-call into board meetings whenever possible.
Bob Sheddy is the broker of record at Century 21 PowerRealty.ca in Drumheller, Alberta.