Why do some homes sell quicker than others? There are many factors including price, location, time of the year, condition of the property, and buyers’ preferences. More often though, it has to do with the impression that your home leaves.
Follow this checklist to help put your home ahead of the rest:
- Pick a date to list your home on the market prior to the date that the “For Sale” sign goes up. Preparing your home for potential buyers takes time, and delays do happen.
- Have a REALTOR® come into your home and give you advice on what upgrades would be most beneficial. Certain upgrades will give you a great return on your investment, while others won’t.
- Your home’s first impression starts outside. Clean the exterior of your house including your siding, yard, driveway, and windows! Revamp your garden with new life and colourful flowers, and ensure that your eaves and downspouts are debris-free.
- On the inside, concentrate first on de-cluttering. Remove excess furniture and photographs, and organize overcrowded garages, closets, and storage spaces.
- Freshly oil all hinges and locks to prevent creaky doors or cabinets.
- As bathrooms and kitchens are often the most important rooms, ensure that they shine! Make sure that all of your light bulbs are working and faucets are leak free.
- Consider re-arranging your furniture to accommodate a more open concept that makes it easy to “ﬂow” between rooms.
- To those with pets, remember to empty out litter boxes daily while showing, place pet food in airtight containers, and keep kennels clean.
First impressions are often your last impressions with prospective buyers, so make sure your home makes a great one!