Highlands Real Estate Listings and Information
Highlands is situated on land originally identified as River Lots 30, 32 and 34 and owned by three Hudson Bay Company employees. Until the area came into the hands of McGrath, Holgate and Company, real estate developers, it seemed an unlikely candidate for early development situated, as it was, 3 miles from the centre of Edmonton. McGrath-Holgate negotiated with the city to provide services and extend the electric streetcar line with subsidies provided by the developers. The name, Highlands, was chosen in a contest, with a fifty dollar prize to the person who provided the best name for the new subdivision. Highlands was annexed to the city in 1912 and a streetcar line, which operated from 1912 to 1945, ran long 112 Avenue.
For more information, click here