McKernan Real Estate Listings and Information
McKernan and the City of Strathcona became part of Edmonton through amalgamation in 1912, but development of the area was delayed until McKernan Lake (located between 110 and 114 Streets and 72 and 76 Avenues) was drained in the 1940s. Between 1913 and 1947 the McKernan Lake Streetcar, known as the Toonerville Trolley, operated along 76th Avenue from Calgary Trail to 116th Street; the trolley was replaced with the streetcar in 1948. Low density residential development in the area was substantively completed between 1947 and 1953. The first walk-up apartment buildings were added to the neighbourhood in the 1950s, and additional apartments were added in the 1960s and 1970s.
For more information, click here