Cloverdale Real Estate Listings and Information

$767,206 Avg. List Price

The first European entrepreneurs and speculators came to Surrey in the mid-nineteenth century. The rich soil, abundance of fresh water supplied from artesian wells, temperate climate and considerable rainfall made the area that is now known as Cloverdale, easily recognizable as having great potential for agricultural development. The area was first surveyed in 1859 and a small community formed around 1870. Cloverdale’s centre is at 176 Street and 56 Avenue.

180.1.04 Panorama of GNR tracks and Opera House

Joseph Shannon arrived in this location in 1874 and purchased one section (640 acres) of land from the Crown. One year later, his two brothers, William and Thomas Shannon arrived and purchased 960 acres of land. It is said that a few days after arriving in the valley, in the year 1875, Mr. William Shannon had the occasion to write a letter and was in doubt as to how to head it. He looked out at the wild clover that grew abundantly everywhere and at once thought of Clover Valley. Soon afterwards he traveled to Victoria with a deputation to obtain a post office for the district and registered Clover Valley as the name.

Not long after the naming of Clover Valley, a road was constructed from the community to the Nicomekl River. It was at this junction that transport stern-wheelers brought basic provisions for the settlers and exported the farmers’ produce. The road was called the Clover Valley Road.

Joseph Shannon, who was involved in farming, became active in real estate with the prospect of the Southern Railway making a stop at Clover Valley. It was planned that the railway would pass through Clover Valley on its route from Bellingham to New Westminster. In anticipation, Joseph Shannon subdivided and sold some of his land to people speculating on the commercial development that would flourish around the train stop.

The train was routed through the property of a Mr. Robertson. In order to encourage the train to make its stop at his location, Mr. Robertson announced that he would deed a site to any individual venturesome enough to build a hotel to accommodate the men who would build the railway. John and Mary Starr took him up on his offer and built the Starr Hotel. They also purchased the adjoining property and opened a blacksmith shop and livery stable.

When the Southern Railway was actually built in 1891, Clover Valley was an obvious location for a station, due to the many facilities already in place. The railway engineers named the station “Cloverdale”, which was soon adopted as the new town name.


192.04 Cloverdale School group, 1910 Joseph Shannon became known as the benefactor of the Cloverdale settlement. He donated land for community development and organization. He was appointed the first Warden of the Municipality on January 5, 1880. The first Council meeting of the Municipality of Surrey was held on January 12, 1880 in his farmhouse. In 1882, Joseph Shannon, Henry Thrift and George Boothroyd were instrumental in establishing Cloverdale’s first school.


In 1904, a community hall was built with funds raised through public subscription. The new hall was known as the “Opera House” but had nothing to do with the production of opera. The building was called the “Opera House” because the community did not want their venue for local talent to be associated with the general wickedness of the burlesque shows using town halls and theatres in other areas. The little hall could seat 200 people and was engaged for events such as dances, political meetings, concerts, small parties, wedding receptions, amateur plays, basketball and badminton.

By 1910, the town of Cloverdale had become an important junction providing quick and efficient transportation routes for the local farmers to send their produce to the markets of the world. The Great Northern Railway, connecting Canada with the United States; the Eastern Railway, connecting Victoria and Vancouver Island with Vancouver; and the B.C. Electric, going from Vancouver up the Fraser Valley to Chilliwack, all stopped at Cloverdale.

Cloverdale experienced major growth in the “land boom” of 1910–1911. General stores, a post office, a butcher shop, a blacksmith’s shop, a hotel, an Oddfellows Hall, a resident physician, churches, shingle mills, the Bank of Montreal, a Government liquor store and many fine residences made Cloverdale an active town centre. In addition, Cloverdale became the seat of government with the construction of the new town hall in 1912.

By 1913, the use of motorcars necessitated the construction of a bridge over the Nicomekl River. At the same time, the Clover Valley Road was laid with gravel and extended north into Surrey. Gradually the road was extended south to the U.S. border and was renamed the Pacific Highway. It was paved in 1923 and became the major thoroughfare up the coast connecting Canada and the U.S.A.

In addition to the numerous businesses already mentioned, Cloverdale was also the location of the Surrey Co-operative Association. Established in 1921, the Co-op quickly became the dominant commercial enterprise of the district, providing farmers with a dependable outlet to sell their produce and purchase their supplies. The Co-op enterprise continually expanded for many years, adding a poultry killing plant, feed mills, a hardware and grocery store, a gas station and lumber yard.

Cloverdale continued to be a prominent commercial town centre for Surrey until the early 1960s. Following the relocation of the Municipal Hall to Woodwards Hill in 1962 and the development of other commercial areas in the Municipality, the character of Cloverdale changed to a more residential community. 180.1.85 Main Street (176 Street), 1956

(Source: City of Surrey)

Cloverdale Community Blog

All Cloverdale Blog Posts

Local Market Experts