Elgin Chantrell Real Estate Listings and Information
In 1874 the Semiahmoo road opened establishing Elgin’s position as a stage stop and a hotel was built to provide rest for those on the road. Within the hotel there was a small country store and post office to serve the residents, but although the hotel was a success it diminished due to the opening of the New Westminster Southern railway in 1891.
By 1886 Elgin had been declared as Canada’s customs entry port, which meant that all traffic from the Nicomekl River and the Semiahmoo Road were supposed to report. Soon there were two more ports built within the area. The ports of White Rock and Douglas caused the success of the Elgin Port to fade.
Elgin was now home to a hotel with a barn and blacksmith, a local school, a community hall, a sawmill, and a Port of customs.
Starting at the King George Highway and heading west to 140th Street, South to 20th Avenue, West to 128th Street and North up to Crescent Road makes the boundaries for this community.