Arbutus-Ridge Real Estate Listings and Information
Arbutus Ridge, with spectacular views of English Bay and the North Shore mountains, is one of 23 communities in Vancouver. It stretches from Mackenzie and Puget Drive to East Boulevard and Maple Crescent, and from 16th to 41st Avenue. These boundaries are defined by the City for planning and administrative purposes and may not accurately reflect smaller historical neighbourhoods.
Arbutus Ridge, is a quiet, mature area of up-scale homes, condos and long-time residents. When asked which community they live in, few would reply Arbutus Ridge especially since the low ridge that Arbutus Street runs along is not readily apparent.. Instead, depending upon their geographic locations, residents associate themselves with neighbouring Dunbar, Kitsilano, Kerrisdale or Shaughnessy communities.
Each year, as more and more cars make their way to, from, and through Vancouver neighbourhoods, concern about safety and livability increases. Traffic calming solutions such as stop signs, traffic circles, speed humps, corner bulges, and diverters - are tools used to reduce traffic speed and volume. The City of Vancouver's Engineering Services Transportation Division works with residents interested in reclaiming their streets and introducing traffic calming.
To learn more about current special projects, ongoing programs, and safety improvement initiatives in Vancouver, check our Transportation Highlights webpage to find out what's happening.
For information about how the City of Vancouver plans transportation solutions and land use in relation to those solutions, while maintaining a livable and workable city, visit our Planning Department's Insights into Transportation webpage to learn more.
To find out what mode of travel residents of your community choose to go to/from work, check the 'Statistics' link, located in the link menu to the left under the 'Profile' section.
History & Heritage
The history of Arbutus Ridge is short, even by Vancouver standards. While its development was connected to that of the adjacent areas of Shaughnessy, Dunbar and Kerrisdale, the community was to develop differently as a result of the CPR and due to the swampy nature of the area.
In its natural state, Arbutus Ridge consisted of uplands surrounding a low-lying marsh known as Asthma Flats. The original inhabitants fished the local streams, although there is no record of settlement. In 1888, the Province turned over 2,100 hectares (5,189 acres) of land in the area to the CPR. Included in this holding was a large portion of what is now the Arbutus Ridge community. Over the years Arbutus Ridge has been part of three municipalities: South Vancouver until 1908; then Point Grey and finally Vancouver in 1929. The crossroads of East/West Boulevard and Wilson Avenue (now 4 1 st Avenue) were the hub of local political activity in those early years.
The community's uplands area (known to residents as Mackenzie Heights) was first to see residential settlement. These uplands, which filled with gracious middle-class homes between 1912 and the 1930s, became identified with the adjacent communities of Dunbar and Kerrisdale. The B.C. Electric's interurban railway line, which connected Steveston with Vancouver in 1905, passed through the Kerrisdale area (with stops at 37th/ East Boulevard and 41st/East Boulevard) acted as a trigger for early development. The railway was replaced with trolley buses in July 1952. During the 1940s and 1950s sand was brought in from False Creek and the low areas filled in with houses, schools and shops. in the late 1960s a major development occurred within the community when Arbutus Village, a housing and shopping complex was constructed.
Detailed information on the city's heritage and a complete list of heritage buildings is available at City of Vancouver Heritage.
Additional information is available through the City of Vancouver Archives.
A number of homes remain in Arbutus Ridge from Vancouver's early settlement years. Of particular heritage significance are several period homes on 37th Avenue built in 1912, in the English Arts and Crafts Style, by prominent architect G.L. Thornton Sharp. Sharp is credited with helping to define Vancouver's identity in the first half of this century.
St. Mary's Kerrisdale Anglican Church, also built in the English Arts and Crafts style, is an important heritage structure and neighbourhood landmark. The original church building was constructed in 1913, but has been expanded many times since. Thornton & Sharp were the original designers. The church hall and Sunday School (designed by Sharp and Thompson) were added in 1923. Well known Vancouver architects, Twizell and Twizell, extended the east and west portions in 1947. As of June 1992, there were 18 structures in Arbutus Ridge listed on the Vancouver Heritage Inventory.