Ile des Chênes Real Estate Listings and Information
The Rural Municipality of Ritchot is located in south central Manitoba, just 27 kilometres south of Manitoba's capital city, Winnipeg. The municipality extends from Winnipeg's Perimeter Highway and is found between Provincial Trunk Highway 75 and 59. Ritchot is also 90 kilometres from the 24-hour U.S.A. border crossing at Emerson. Ritchot has many small communities in its boundaries. The villages of St. Adolphe, Ste. Agathe, and Ile des Chenes are three of the more prominent communities, with Glenlea, Grande Pointe, and Red River Drive other significant communities in Ritchot. The municipality offices are located in St. Adolphe.
Ritchot was officially incorporated as a municipality in 1890. The municipality owes much of its roots to the early French Canadian settlers. These settlers came first to settle the St. Norbert region south of Winnipeg, before parishes were established. This strong French influence is very much observed by the community names, such as Grande Pointe, and Ile des Chenes. Early settlers also included Ukrainian and Polish pioneers.
Establishing their own churches, meeting halls and homesteads, settlers quickly made roots in the new municipality. With its diverse historical and cultural backgrounds, many residents of Ritchot have strong family and community connections, making Ritchot a rich mosaic of culture, hospitality and community.
(referenced from www.wmcrp.com)