St. George Real Estate Listings and Information
The origins of the parish go back to 1882 when Father Jaochim Allard, an Oblate missionary, was stationed at the Fort Alexander Indian reserve. Father Allard’s dream had been to establish a French-Canadian parish on the Winnipeg River. It was thus following the initiative of this brave and courageous missionary that was born a small colony from the province of Quebec, more specifically from the county of Châteauguay.
It was not until 1903, after the construction of a chapel, that St. Georges officially became a parish with Abbé Charles Poirier as its first resident priest. In 1909, St. Georges had its first church, Unfortunately, it was destroyed by fire on May 1st, 1929. A second church (still standing) was built on the same spot and opened its doors in the month of December of the same year.
On the occasion of its centenary in 2003, a historical monument was erected near the church to commemorate the work that was accomplished by the founding members of the parish. The monument also pays hommage to all the priests who served the parish during that first century. From its origins with 18 families, one hundred years later the parish numbered 127 families and had its 16th priest.