Open City Halifax – May 12th and 13th - celebrate all things local!
How often do you take the time to explore your own city? When someone asks you what there is to do in Halifax, what do you tell them?
When was the last time that you walked around downtown, in the North End or on Quinpool Rd and really took notice of the businesses, the shops, the restaurants and all of the great things the city has to offer?
For many of us, the last time we may have gone to the Museum of Natural History, the Citadel, the Maritime Museum or the Discovery Centre was when we had kids small enough to be interested. And yet, these are great places to visit regardless of your age.
This weekend, May 12th and 13th, Halifax is Open! Open City is a celebration of all things local.... local businesses supporting and promoting each other and encouraging people to explore, to visit, to experience and to taste all things local.
Many businesses and stores will have specials this weekend; restaurants are opening their kitchen doors and providing great food to-go; parking is Free all weekend on the Waterfront; the Discovery Centre is offering discounted admission and so much more. A small sample of some of the neat things going on this weekend:
- NSCAD’s Artist for a Day takes place Saturday, May 12, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Sands at Salter, near Bishop’s Landing on the Halifax Waterfront – get a sense of what NSCAD is all about by trying things out yourself. http://nscad.ca/en/home/abouttheuniversity/news/day-050412.aspx
- Christina Martin performs at the Piazza at Bishop’s Landing; Saturday 10 to 1 and Sunday 1 to 4
- Segway Nova Scotia presents Segway Rides on the Waterfront
- Sugha! Public Gardens is having a Scavenger Hunt in the Gardens
- There will be a Fair Trade Bazaar at Victoria Park off Spring Garden Rd
- Food samples, $1 coffee, butchery demonstrations, beer sampling, side door takeout at many restaurants and so much more!
For all of the details and information on what is going on, visit http://www.ilovelocalhfx.ca/v1
This really is a great opportunity to experience something new, visit old friends or businesses and explore this wonderful city we are so fortunate to live in. So start planning now... and support our local businesses!
Posted by Sandra Johnson
on May 8, 2012