Cavan Real Estate Listings and Information
The original township of Cavan and Millbrook was surveyed by John Deyell in 1817, and was named after County Cavan in Ireland, from which many of its settlers had emigrated. By 1819 there were 244 settlers, and by 1861 the population had risen to 4,901, many of whom were descendants of United Empire Loyalists, veterans of the War of 1812 who had been granted land there, or the original and later settlers from Ireland. After Confederation in 1867, the population began to drop as many families left for Western Canada.
The original Irish settlers were Protestants, and many of them were associated with the Orange Order. In the mid-19th century the "Cavan Blazers" were established as a fiercely Protestant vigilante group, who often burned down the farms of Catholic settlers.
Cavan and Millbrook townships became part of Peterborough County in 1974, and were amalgamated, along with North Monaghan, into one township — Cavan-Millbrook-North Monaghan — in 1998. In 2007, the township was renamed Cavan-Monaghan, as many thought the older name was too long.
The township comprises the communities of Bailieboro, Carmel, Cavan, Cedar Valley, Fraserville, Ida, Millbrook, Mount Pleasant, South Monaghan, Springville and Tapley.
Millbrook has been a filming location for several movie productions. The Music Man, Ice Princess and A History of Violence were filmed in the town. In the latter film, Millbrook was depicted as the fictional town of Millbrook, Indiana. The Bee Keeper
- Population: 8,828
- % Change (2001 – 2006): 4.4
- Dwellings: 3,088
- Area (km²): 306.13
- Density (persons per km²): 28.8
- ^ a b "Home page". Millbrook and Cavan Historical Society. http://www.kawartha.net/~mchs/mchs.htm. Retrieved 2009-05-08.
- ^ "By-law Number 2007-19" (PDF). Corporation of the Township of Cavan-Millbrook=North Monaghan. 2007-04-02. Archived from the original on 2007-09-30. http://web.archive.org/web/20070930065800/http://www.cmnm.ca/2007+By-Laws/By-Law+2007-19+Name+Change+By-Law.pdf. Retrieved 2009-05-08.
- ^ "Cavan-Millbrook-North Monaghan". 2006 Community Profiles. Statistics Canada. http://www12.statcan.ca/census-recensement/2006/dp-pd/prof/92-591/details/Page.cfm?Lang=E&Geo1=CSD&Code1=3515013&Geo2=PR&Code2=35&Data=Count&SearchText=Cavan&SearchType=Begins&SearchPR=35&B1=All&Custom=. Retrieved 2009-05-08.
Cavan Community Blog
Recently Listed - View All
75 Brookside Street Millbrook, ON L0A1G0 $314,900 3 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Other
0 Dranoel Road Cavan, ON L0A1C0 $269,900 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Other
2714 Brown Line Cavan, ON K9J6X6 $129,900 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Other
92 Valley Rd. Millbrook, ON L0A 1G0 $599,900 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Residential
0 Morton Line Cavan, ON L0A1G0 $265,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Other
0 Carmel Line Cavan, ON L0A1C0 $169,900 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Other
1093 County Road 28 Other|Unit 24 Fraserville South Monaghan Otonabee, ON K0L1V0 $74,900 2 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Other
9 Ford Crescent Cavan Monaghan, ON L0A1C0 $249,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Other
0 Sharpe `Lot A` Line Cavan, ON L0A 1C0 $159,900 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Farm/Ranch
0 Sharpe `Lot B` Line Cavan-Monaghan, ON L0A 1C0 $149,900 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Farm/Ranch
1501 County Road 10 Other Cavan, ON L0A 1C0 $399,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Farm/Ranch
1849 Brown Line Cavan, ON L0A 1C0 $150,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Farm/Ranch
0 Sherbrooke St W Cavan, ON L0A 1C0 $99,900 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Farm/Ranch