Box Grove Real Estate Listings and Information
Box Grove is a prestigous village community at the Eastern edge of Markham, where 9th Line meets 14th Avenue.
First settled in 1815 by William Beebe and in the 1850s it was originally called Sparta or Sparty Wharf. It changed to its present name during Canada's Confederation in 1867 when it got its first post office. Residential development only began in the late 1990s and continues today as it undergoes a transformation from protected agricultural to residential use.
Like many Markham communities, Box Grove was the site of a few working mills including a sawmill, a woolen mill, and a shoddy mill - all established on land owned by one family, the Tomlinsons.
Today, those mills have long disappeared and in their place is a strategically planned community that more than 700 families call home. The older, more “established” areas in Boxgrove typically feature a large bungalow on a substantial lot or an older 2 storey situated on a small farm. The newer areas have well-planned neighbourhoods with a mixture of 2 storey and semi-detached homes.
With a number of beautiful parks, walking trails that connect with other Markham communities and two proposed public schools in the works, Box Grove has become a desirable neighbourhood for many.
Just off the 407, it's a convenient spot for commuters to travel to and from work and a relaxing game of golf is never far away as Box Grove is surrounded by three beautiful golf courses: Markham Green, Scarborough Family and Cedarbrae.
Perhaps the best part of this community though, is its proximity to Rouge Park, Canada's "premier urban wilderness park." Activities here are never ending with more than 11,000 acres of trails, rivers, ponds and some of the most incredible views ever.
A few and prominent families were part of the Box Grove:
- Reesor - David Reesor operated the cheese factory; Reesor family remains in the Markham area
- Burkholder - one of the last remaining Memmonite families in the area
- Tomlinson - early settler and operator of the mills in the hamlet
- Raymer - Pennsylvania Germans lead by Abraham Raymer who settled in the area in 1890
- Rolph - soldier Captain William Rolph settled in the area
There are pockets of residential development near the former IBM golf course, but the eastern sections still has some farm land.
The Box Grove Post Office was lost in the early 20th Century and revived as a postal outlet inside the Rexall store at 9th Line and Copper Creek Drive.