Gatineau Park Real Estate Listings and Information
Bordering the Municipalities of Chelsea, LaPeche and the Regional Municipality of Pontiac, Gatineau Park is THE defining region of the Outaouais.
Measuring some 361 square kilometres, it lies just to the northwest of Canada’s Capital Region. Managed by the NCC, Gatineau Park is a superb nature reserve just 15 minutes from Parliament Hill. It serves as a reminder that environmental protection is a cherished Canadian value, and its objective is to ensure the permanent preservation of a vast natural territory for the enjoyment of all Canadians.
The Park has hundreds of kilometres of trails, abundant wildlife and numerous crystal-clear lakes typical of the hills of the Canadian Shield. Winter or summer, you can enjoy a wide array of outdoor activities on your own or with friends and family.
- hiking on the recreational and interpretation trails or cycling on the parkways
- swimming and picnicking
- year-round camping and overnight stays in the heart of the forest
- cross-country skiing, downhill skiing and snowboarding, or snowshoeing
Some of the best known features of the park are:
1. The Eardley Escarpment forms the dividing line between the rock of the Canadian Shield (which covers more than half of Canada) and the St.Lawrence Lowlands.
2. The Champlain Lookout, located at the end of the Champlain Parkway, offers what is unquestionably the best known and most popular view in Gatineau Park. This lookout is perched atop the Eardley Escarpment, at 335 metres above sea level, providing a bird’s-eye view from the Gatineau Hills over the Ottawa Valley.
3. Mackenzie King Estate. This estate used to be the summer home to William Lyon Mackenzie King who was Canada's 10th Prime Minister. When he died he left the estate, which lies on 231 hectares, to Canada. You can explore the different chalets, the beautifully kept gardens, the ruins and the paths that lead to other parts of the Park. There is also a tearoom (Moorside) if you want to stop and grab a small bite to eat and a cup of tea
4. Beaches and Picnic Areas
There are five public beaches in the park that are open from the middle of June to the beginning of September. Also, there are over a dozen picnic areas around the Park. So, take a break and enjoy your surroundings. Some of the picnic areas include Etienne-Brule Lookout, Black Lake, La Peche Lake, Meech Lake, Mulvihill Lake and more.
5. Skiing in the Park :
Downhill: Camp Fortune is composed of 5 slopes: Pineault, Clifford, Alexander, Meech, and Skyline. The first three slopes are jointly referred to as The Valley and are considered to host the easier slopes of the ski center.
During the summer, Camp Fortune is open for mountain biking and its new outdoor Aerial Experience.
Cross-Country: Gatineau park has over 200 kilometres of trails with varying levels of difficulty. The trails are extremely well maintained and work their way through a wide variety of terrain. While families will find trails that are perfect to learn on, professional athletes will also find circuits to challenge their skills.
6. Autumn in the Park:
One of our favourite times at the Park is in the Fall. The Fall Rhapsody is so hard to descibe because words don't do it justice. The trees in the Park literally come alive with the vibrant colours of red, orange and yellow. It is absolutely breathtaking.
What else can we say? For those of us who live, work and play in the Outaouais, we are so very lucky to have this treasure literally at our back door!
Gatineau Park Community Blog
Recently Listed - View All
32 Rue du Gabbro Gatineau, QC J8Z 2N1 $299,900 3 Beds 2 Baths 1,530 Sq Ft Two or More Storey
23 Rue de la Soeur-Jeanne-Marie-Chavoin 209 Gatineau, QC J8Z 1V9 $91,700 1 Beds 1 Baths 507 Sq Ft Apartment
455 Boul. Riel 7 Gatineau, QC J8Z 2J8 $89,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Business sale
56 Ch. Scott Chelsea, QC J9B 1R5 $289,900 3 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Bungalow
455 Boul. Riel 1 Gatineau, QC J8T 4R7 $270,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Business sale
16 Rue du Silex Gatineau, QC J8Z 3K1 $239,000 3 Beds 1 Baths 1,425 Sq Ft Two or More Storey
Ch. De la Montagne Gatineau, QC J9J 3S5 $84,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Vacant lot
59 Ch. De la Solitude Chelsea, QC J9B 1E8 $595,000 5 Beds 3 Baths 3,400 Sq Ft Two or More Storey
19 Ch. De la Mine Chelsea, QC J9B 1C7 $447,000 4 Beds 2 Baths 2,576 Sq Ft Two or More Storey
32 Ch. Mullen Chelsea, QC J9B 1E6 $597,500 4 Beds 2 Baths 3,440 Sq Ft Two or More Storey