Notre-Dame-de-Grace Real Estate Listings and Information

Notre-Dame-de-Grace

Notre-Dame-de-Grâce (English: Our Lady of Grace), also nicknamed NDG, is a residential neighbourhood of Montreal located in the city's west-end. It comprises Loyola and Notre-Dame-de-Grace, two of the five electoral districts of the borough of Côte-des-Neiges–Notre-Dame-de-Grâce. In 2013, it had a population of 66,495.

History

Towards the end of the 17th century, the area north of Old Montreal was a vast forest stretching to the foot of Mount Royal, surrounded by marshes and streams. However, the first Europeans settled in Notre-Dame-de-Grâce on November 18, 1650. They were Jean Descarries (or Descaris) dit le Houx and Jean Leduc, originating in Igé, Perche, France.

Both settlers each received thirty acres of land in Notre-Dame-de-Grâce, a vast territory that stretched from what would become Atwater Avenue to Lachine.

In 1853, construction of the Church of Notre-Dame-de-Grâce was completed.

In December 1876, the Municipality of the Village of Notre-Dame-de-Grâce was established through proclamation. In 1906, the village of Notre-Dame-de-Grâce was incorporated as a town. On June 4, 1910, Notre-Dame-de-Grâce was annexed to the city of Montreal.[3]

It was during this period that the long established Descarries family reached its peak. Daniel-Jérémie Décarie (1836-1904) was mayor of Notre-Dame-de-Grâce from 1877 to 1904 and his son, lawyer Jérémie-Louis Décarie (1870-1927), was a Quebec parliamentarian.

In May 1912, the Décarie Boulevard was officially designated. (A section of the road was already known as Décarie Avenue.)

In 1908, the first tramway made its appearance in Notre-Dame-de-Grâce. The departed from Mount Royal Street, around the mountain and terminated at Snowdon Station.

Gradually the village developed around the Church of Notre-Dame-de-Grâce which was the head church of the seven parishes on the western part of the Island of Montreal.

It was around 1920 that anglophones began settling in NDG, resulting in the construction of numerous schools and churches. The Décarie Expressway opened to motorists in 1966, in time for Expo 67. The highway construction forced the displacement of 285 families and had a major impact on the neighborhood.

Since 2002, the area has been administratively attached to Côte-des-Neiges as the borough of Côte-des-Neiges-Notre-Dame-de-Grâce.

Demographics

The eastern part of Notre-Dame-de-Grâce, clustered around the Notre-Dame-de-Grâce parish church, has always been a traditionally francophone neighbourhood. It was bisected by the Decarie Expressway in the 1960s. The central and western parts were, and for the most part still are, traditionally home to middle-class and working-class anglophones with a significant lower-class population (though it has been on the decline in recent years). The majority of residents in this district speak English in their homes with only 32% speaking French. Many are students of the English post secondary schools, particularly Dawson College and Concordia University. In the 50s, 60s and 70s there were many Jewish families who lived in NDG. In the late 70s and 80s things changed with the political climate in Quebec and there was an out-migration to other English-speaking Canadian cities. Today, there is also a sizeable Afro-Canadian and immigrant community, concentrated mostly around the parts of the district north of Somerled Avenue as well as south of Sherbrooke Street. In recent years, Notre-Dame-de-Grâce has developed into a highly desirable neighbourhood for young professionals.

Cityscape

The Empress Theatre located along Sherbrooke Street West.
Many of the houses are historical and have much character, having been built upwards of 70 years ago. The neighbourhood is known for its tree-lined streets, brick houses, and closely cropped duplexes. There are also many apartment buildings. Benny Farm was also a huge public housing project in central Notre-Dame-de-Grâce built for Second World War veterans and single-parent families, but was renovated and converted into condominia after 2002.

Nevertheless, times are changing as property prices throughout the other parts of the district have grown and it is becoming an increasingly popular place to live for middle-class English-speaking Montrealers.

Sports and recreation


NDG is well known for many large parks including NDG Park (known as Girouard Park), Loyola Park, and Trenholme Park. The area has three indoor hockey arenas: the public Doug Harvey Arena (formerly Confederation Arena) and the private LCC High School and Concordia University (Ed Meagher Arena) rinks.

Transportation

The major commercial streets are Monkland Avenue, Somerled Avenue and Sherbrooke Street West. Monkland Village comprises a cluster of businesses on the eastern part of Monkland Avenue that was revitalized in the 1990s. Villa Maria metro station is located here, as well as Vendôme Metro Station near the district's southeastern end. Also, city buses leaving Snowdon Metro provide access to the northern and western parts of the district.

"The Village"

Monkland Village is a neighbourhood of the Notre-Dame-de-Grâce district in the Montreal borough of Côte-des-Neiges–Notre-Dame-de-Grâce. It is located between Beaconsfield Avenue and the Décarie Expressway/Décarie Boulevard, and between de Terrebonne Street and Côte-St-Antoine Road. The neighbourhood derives its name from Monkland Avenue, the commercial street at the heart of it. The Villa Maria metro station is located at the eastern end of Monkland Avenue.

Origins

Both the neighbourhood and the avenue are named after James Monk, who was the attorney general of Lower Canada, and chief justice to the court of the Queen's Bench from 1804 to 1824. This area in particular became associated with Monk due to the estate he built in 1804 known as Monklands. This estate would later become the Governor General's residence, and was later sold to the Congregation de Notre-Dame who would use the building for the Villa Maria private Catholic girls school.

Monkland Avenue


Monkland Avenue has been a commercial street since the 1930s and has gone through various highs and lows. Today the strip is transforming into a more upper-scale commercial street and is generally doing very well. It is home to many small businesses including restaurants (Monkland Tavern, Lucille's, Al Dente), cafés (St-Viateur Bagel, Second Cup, Marconi's), bars (Typhoon's, Ye Olde Orchard), food stores (Le Maitre Boucher, Première Moisson) and unique boutiques (Ciel Bleu, Kidlink, Enfantino).

In the summer of 2013 the Monkland Merchants Association organized a very successful street Festival that attracted more than 90 000 people over a three day period.

Education


The Administration Building at Concordia University's Loyola campus.
The administrative offices of the English Montreal School Board are located in Notre-Dame-de-Grâce.

There are numerous private and public educational institutions within the community:

Elementary schools:


English Schools


Royal Vale
Willingdon School
Herbert Symonds
St. Monica School
École Rudolph-Steiner de Montreal

High schools

Private

Centennial Academy
Lower Canada College
Loyola High School
Villa Maria
Kells Academy
Public
Marymount Academy
Royal Vale School (K-11)
Royal West Academy

Universities


Concordia University (Loyola Campus)

Notre-Dame-de-Grace Community Blog

All Notre-Dame-de-Grace Blog Posts

Local Market Experts