Rivière-des-Prairies - Pointe-aux-Trembles Real Estate Listings and Information

Rivière-des-Prairies - Pointe-aux-Trembles

 The small village of Rivière-des-Prairies was formed in 1731.  In 1954, it obtained its status of city.  R.D.P. was annexed to the city of Montreal on July 2nd, 1963, after approval by the then mayor of Montreal, Jean Drapeau.  Finally, in 2002, R.D.P. was integrated with Pointe-aux-Trembles to form the borough of Rivière-des-Prairies/Pointe-aux-Trembles, the largest borough of the City of Montreal.

 The river bearing the name of Rivière-des-Prairies is a body of water situated between the Island of Montreal and Île-Jésus, and separates the cities of Montreal and Laval.

Size:                                   42.3 sq. km.

Population (2009):             107,556

Average family income:      $52,326.00

Proportion of tenants:          39%

Our community boasts two nature parks for the enjoyment of our citizens.  The first is the Pointe-aux-Prairies Nature Park, situated at the extreme northeast of the borough, at the junction of the river Rivière-des-Prairies and the Saint-Laurent River.  The second is the Ruisseau-du-Montigny Nature Park, situated west of the territory, between Perras and Henri-Bourassa Boulevards.

R.D.P. is a community which is constantly growing.  In fact, it is easy to notice that vacant lots are rapidly transformed into development projects, either for condos or cottages.  In our neighbourhood, all the commodities are present: mass transit, autoroutes and highways, private and public schools, arenas, indoor pools, CLSCs, medical centers, cultural centers, shopping malls, restaurants, etc.

Historic Trivia:  Charles Catelli (of Catelli Pasta) married Angelina Armand of RDP in 1879 and the couple inherited Angelina's father's farm after he passed away.  It was only after the second world war that farmers began to sell their land to make way for homes.  Electricity arrived in RDP in 1929.

An Italian town:  Rivière-des-Prairies has always been a favourite neighbourhood for the Italian community and, like all Italian neighbourhoods, it has a church in the center of it all.  The Missione Maria Ausiliatrice Church was founded in 1984 by Father Romano Venturelli and the Salesians of Don Bosco.  The Don Bosco Youth Leadership Centre opened in 1997, and is now a place where the young people of the community "hang out."

Since May 14th, 2011, Rivière-des-Prairies is linked to Laval (North Shore) by a very modern and great lokking bridge, which is the continuation of Highway 25.  A toll is requested for the crossing, which varies according to the time of the day.  Both the local and the residents of Laval agree that it's momey well spent as it saves about half an hour, compared to the alternate route.  The toll collection is done automatically by very a sophisticated mechanism which records the plate number of the cars crossing.  A bill is sent thereafter to the owner.  Pedestrians and cyclists have their own lane...which is free ! 

Rivière-des-Prairies - Pointe-aux-Trembles Community Blog

All Rivière-des-Prairies - Pointe-aux-Trembles Blog Posts

Local Market Experts