Sutherland Real Estate Listings and Information
Photo: Daryl Mitchell
Sutherland has a population of roughly 5,300. This middle income area has an even mixture of single detached family homes, multiple unit appartments and semi-detached homes.
James Powe and his family arrived in Saskatoon from Ontario in 1884. The Powe family homesteaded in the area which is now Sutherland in 1893. Their grand house, which stands on the present-day corner of Central Avenue and 115th Street, was built between 1912 and 1914. The foundation was made from local fieldstone, making the basement walls as thick as 24 inches (610 mm).
Photo: Julia Adamson
The area of Sutherland was built up as the CPR’s branch line between Regina and Edmonton reached Saskatoon in 1907, and the yards and station were constructed 4.8 km east of Saskatoon. This was in keeping with the railway's practice of bypassing existing communities and building its own town sites on land it owned, thus sharing the real estate profits with no one. The village of Sutherland was created on August 30, 1909. With a population of 1500 by 1912, growth was stalled by the economic recession prior to World War I. Significant growth did not occur again until the 1950s. In 1956, the town was annexed by the growing city of Saskatoon.
Sutherland became the city's easternmost neighbourhood until development in the 1970s took place even further east. The amalgamation required some name changes to Sutherland's streets, to avoid confusion with identically-named streets already in Saskatoon (e.g. 6th Street became 110th Street). Also, some named streets were eventually renamed in order to removed conflict with existing Saskatoon streets (Railway Avenue became Gray Avenue). Just to the south of Sutherland, the intersection of Central Avenue and 8th Street became known as "Stephenson's Corner", and was a local landmark as the city's streetcar line would turn northwards towards Sutherland at that point. The area became a regional commercial hub, and continues to be so today, although the Central Avenue link was removed with the development of College Park in the late 1960s (the portion of Central Avenue south of College Drive became Acadia Drive).
By the 1980s, neighbourhoods had developed east of Sutherland, no longer making it the city's eastern edge. In 1984, the Sutherland-Forest Grove Community Association was founded, with its stated goal of promoting and assisting in the educational, recreational and social programs for families in the two adjacent neighbourhoods. In the 1990s, neighbourhood boundaries were redrawn, and the residential area of the former railway townsite along Gray Avenue was transferred to the Forest Grove neighbourhood.