When buying a home, the first thing buyers think about is whether they should buy a new home or a re-sale. Here are some of the characteristics that help you decide:
- Modern Design;
- Personalized Choices;
- Up to date with the latest codes/standards;
- Lower maintenance costs;
- Builder Warranty and New Home Warranty programs;
- Neighbourhood and amenities may not be established;
- HST applicable (rebates may be applicable if price is below $450K;
- Extra costs (sod, fencing, paving, window coverings, etc.).
- You can see what you're buying (not based on paper floor-plans);
- Easier access to services and amenities;
- Established neighbourhood (schools, shopping malls, etc.);
- Landscaping, fencing and paving is done;
- No HST payable;
- You may want to renovate/re-decorate
Some people would rather face the challenge of building their own home. You get to make all the the decisions relating to size, design, location, quality of material, energy efficiency, etc. But it requires a lot of planning, expertise, time & energy.
Whether you buy a new home, a re-sale or build a new home, you have to decide on the type of home you're interested in:
Row House or Townhouse;
Link or Carriage Home
So, as you can tell, there are a lot of decisions yo have to make before you embark on your home search.