Thinking of Moving Parents Into Your Home?


With aging parents and help required to raising a family, I have many clients ask about  adding a "Granny Suite" to their basement area.

Here is the infromation I have collected reagrding funding and guidelines but please make sure you make the appropriate inquiries to confirm your home complies with all the requirements. 

Funding is availbale to a select few by the Provincial Government.

Provincial funding ( financial assistance)  for secondary suites (better known as granny suites), is available through the Provincial Secondary Suites Program. Program assistance is in the form of a forgivable loan equal to 50% of the total construction costs to a maximum of $35,000 per new secondary suite. A secondary suite is a private self-contained living space located within an existing home or on the property which has its own entrance, bathroom, bedroom(s) kitchen and living area, but may share other spaces such as storage areas, parking spaces and yard with the rest of the house.


The link below that I have attached has all the guidelines, information on how to start and contact numbers.

Manitoba Housing and Community Development

Please make sure you read thoroughly.  Funding MUST first be approved with written approval from Manitoba Housing.  Do not start construction until you have approval. 



If you would like to discuss further or would like a market evaluation on the property that you would be selling please feel free to give me a call.  I would be happy to help!

Alison O’Toole

Alison O’Toole

CENTURY 21 Bachman & Associates
Contact Me

Blog Archives