Many home sellers often overlook easy and relatively inexpensive fixes that not only increase visual appeal of your home , but may also add to a home's selling price. While major remodeling is costly and may not address the needs and tastes of prospective buyers, these repair and maintenance suggestions have universal appeal and may help a home sell more quickly - and for a better price.
- Bathrooms and the kitchen must get a deep cleaning. Sellers should consider a cleaning company that offers "move in / move out" cleaning services to do the job.
- If kitchen cabinet exteriors are in bad shape, refacing may be an option. Far less expensive than new cabinetry, refacing can give old and worn cabinets new life and can visually renew a kitchen. Alternatively, many cabinet materials can also be painted, for an updated look without costing a lot.
- Pack up extra dishes, Tupperware, glasses...these just take up space when we are trying to achieve the "lots of cupboard space" sale.
- Consider replacing kitchen or bathroom counters with a neutral colored laminate surface if the current material is badly worn or stained. This gives the room a fresh appearance and, most importantly, prevents potential buyers from focusing on an eyesore.
- Fresh paint on the walls and ceilings will do wonders for all rooms in the house. Stick to neutral tones so that buyers aren't distracted by colors that make a statement. They'll be able to imagine themselves and their furniture in the space much more easily.
- If carpet now covers up hardwood floors, consider having it removed to expose the hardwood flooring. Hardwood floors are desirable, so they should be shown off. If carpet is to remain, it should be thoroughly cleaned.
- Bedding should be neutral with little on dressers and in closets.
- Pack and place boxes in a corner neatly in the basement or in a garage. Buyers know that you are packing up an taking a small place to store is completely acceptable.
- If the home's exterior needs painting, get it done. Buyers notice if paint is faded and peeling. If the paint is in good shape overall, renew the doors and trim with a fresh coat.
- Make sure stairs are in good condition, free and clear of clutter and peeling paint
- Clean the windows inside and out so they sparkle. It's amazing what a difference this can make in a home's appearance. Hiring a professional window cleaning company is the easiest and safest way to get the job done on a multi-story home.
- Clear clutter from the yard, keep the lawn mowed, and trim any overgrown shrubs that detract from the home's appearance. The home should look well maintained even at first glance.
- Place pots or plant bright color flowers to make the curb appeal and front have that welcoming touch.
- I think its important to stress the cleanliness of a home when selling. This shows that a home owner is neat and clean and most likely on top of any issues should they arise. Also, implementing some of the steps above can increase the appeal to prospective buyers without a huge investment in time or money.
If you are thinking of selling this winter or early Spring, please feel free to give me a call to put together a list of items you may want to attend to before selling. As always, I would be happy to help!