Top Tips for A Summer-Ready Home
Spread tasks over a few weeks to be set for a worry-free, enjoyable summer.
- Close the chimney flue to prevent insects from entering and to help keep cool air in.
- If possible, take area rugs outside and hang them over a deck or porch rail to air out.
- Change the rotation of ceiling fans to the summer setting. Give the unit a good dusting to avoid blowing dust around the room.
- Switch out heavy bedding for lightweight summer fabrics. Have your winter bedding cleaned before storing it away for the season.
- Repot houseplants to give their roots a fresh start for the summer.
- Power wash decks and patios and seal surfaces as appropriate.
- If paint is peeling, cracking, or chipped, repair and repaint now to limit damage to the underlying materials.
- Remove window screens and clean them with a soft brush and soapy water. Rinse well and allow them to dry in the sun before reinstalling.
- Have the air conditioning unit serviced to ensure peak operation. Promote good air intake by keeping plants around the unit trimmed.
- Clear dirt and debris from gutters and eaves.
- Seal cracks in the driveway and keep walkways clear of debris and overgrown plants.
- Test irrigation and sprinkler systems and replace any broken sprinkler heads or emitters. Check for proper water coverage and adjust if necessary.
Now, on to summer!
Provided by: Pillar To Post e-notes