The great thing about moving?
Make a clean sweep of the house, reduce moving costs and get rid of unwanted items you no longer need or use.
- Determine what items to dispose, sell, donate or give away. Leave behind items that are safer or more economical to do so. Divide the items.
- Hold a garage sale to reduce the number of things to move to your new home.
- Charitable organizations: Donate specifically requested items to drop off locations or arrange for assigned pickup trucks to obtain the items from you. (ie. Children’s Wish)
- Household items, electronics and clothing: a shelter or support agency uses these items to help individuals get back on their feet (ie. Goodwill or Salvation Army).
- Books & computers: Many shelters have in-house libraries that act as a resource for residents & the local neighborhood.
- Schools & daycare centres: Some are equipped to receive donations for used books and toys.
- Consignment shops, thrift shops, non-profit stores: Some stores send the profits from the sale of your unwanted items back into the community.