The Central Okanagan has a large amount of First Nations land. There are many, many common misconceptions about the nature of these Leases and who holds the rights to the lands. Purchasing real estate on First Nations land has it's benefits!
Unlike most First Nations across Canada, Westbank Lands are not governed under the Indian Act. Rather, Westbank Lands are governed under a modern comprehensive set of community laws. WFN has full jurisdictional control over Westbank Lands and resources.
WFN is governed under the Westbank Self Government Act; the WFN Self Government Agreement between WFN and the Government of Canada is dated October 3rd 2003; the use and development of Westbank Lands is subject to Part XI of the WFN Constitution (the "Land Rules").
- Westbank Lands remain section 91(24) lands, lands reserved for Indians under the Canadian Constitution
- All existing interests in Westbank Lands prior to self-government were recognized and continued in accordance with their terms and conditions after self-government
- Sets out the rules and admistrative structures for land management and administration of Westbank Lands
- Establishes types of interests in Westbank Lands
- WFN will continue to administer pre-Self-Government instruments in place of the Minister
- Member approval needed for long term leases/licences on Community Lands
- Subject to WFN Laws, Council approval is no longer required for private land transactions (e.g. leases, morgages & transfers
Click here for a map of WFN lands: http://www.wfn.ca/docs/fig-1.2.pdf
Leasehold specialist lawyer Barry Porrelli is a wealth of information. Check out his website here: http://porrelli.ca/first-nations-lands/library-of-leases/
View ACTIVE LISTINGS on Native Leasehold Lands
To learn more, please contact Amanda Westrheim at email@example.com
CENTURY 21 Assurance Realty Ltd.