Verduners have long called itsimply The Old Stone House; Anglo old-timers still call it The Legion, which it was for most of the 20th century. The historic building, located on Lasalle Blvd near Crawford street in Crawford Park, has recently re-opened after years of renovation and restoration, as the Maison Étienne Nivard de Saint-Dizier, named for one of its first owners. This new museum and archaeological site will feature permanent exhibits devoted to the Native Americans who were the first inhabitants of the island, and to the beginnings of New France.
The Norman style house was built somewhere around 1710 (work may have started as earlya s 1693) and its early owners included the sisters of the Congregation Notre-Dame. During its years as the Royal Canadian Legion, Crawford Park branch, the house was a meeting place for Verduners with a restaurant and dance floor at ground level and a bar upstairs.
The new museum is now open Wednesdays to Sundays, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.