Parkhill Real Estate Listings and Information
Parkhill owes its beginning to the coming of the railway. In 1859, the Grand Trunk Railway completed a line from St. Mary's to Sarnia. The following year the first Post Office and store were opened at the present site of Parkhill.
Parkhill was originally known as Westwood, named Swainsby in 1861 and finally Parkhill in 1863. Parkhill's growth was slow at first until a grist mill was constructed in the community. Other industries including saw mills, a foundry, a flax mill and a woollen mill became a part of Parkhill. By 1871, the community had a population of 1500. Parkhill was incorporated as a village in 1872 and as a town in 1886. Many fine old Victorian commercial buildings such as the Cheapside Block and Gibbs Block can be found located along Main Street. Parkhill also has many handsome churches and houses throughout the town.
The township also contains the communities of Beechwood, Bornish, Bowood, Brinsley, Carlisle, Corbett, Greenway, Hungry Hollow, Lieury, Moray, Mount Carmel, Nairn, Sable, Springbank, Sylvan and West McGillivray. The communities of Clandeboye, Lucan Crossing, Mooresville are divided by the municipal boundary with Lucan Biddulph.