According to a recent study conducted at King's College London and the University of Birmingham (see http://www.treehugger.com/health/study-cycling-keeps-you-young.html), cycling can help keep our body young. People who use this form of transportation are psychologically younger and livelier.
So, 13 reasons to ride a bike:
1. Environment. Bike - an environmentally friendly mode of transportation by which we move without harming our planet. The energy generated by our movement does not use fossil fuels. Thus, in short trips, cycling can reduce carbon emissions by 11%.
2. Riding cleanses the body. This allows the body to get rid of toxins faster.
3. Burns fat. Riding helps control our weight. Cycling can burn calories; in 30 minutes it can burn up to 300 calories.
4. Improves sleep. Physical activity is accompanied by the release of endorphins in our body, which has a positive effect on mood and serotonin, which gives us a sense of relaxation and promotes sleep.
5. Lowers cholesterol and triglycerides. Burning fat lowers bad cholesterol.
6. Does our heart stronger. Biking strengthens our heart and stamina.
7. Reduces blood pressure. At a constant driving we become more resistance to stress.
8. Strengthens the immune system. When our body is working well, we are better protected against disease.
9. Stimulates the respiratory system. A person at rest takes about 9 liters of oxygen per minute and the average cyclist during training consumes 80 liters per minute. In our ordinary life, lungs do not need to make any extra efforts to get oxygen.
10. Increases resistance. Muscular work, over time, has become an important means of protection for the joints and stimulates us less to stay at home, ride the bike or take a walk with family.
11. Reduces stress and depression. Riding stimulates circulation, filling the brain with oxygen.
12. Delays the onset of osteoarthritis. This strengthens the ligaments and tendons.
13. Saves. Bike can help us save money by not spending money on our trips. The cost of maintenance and repair of the bike is much cheaper.