"It's the most wonderful time of the year".
WINNIPEG – If you’ve come across some items you’ll never use again during spring cleaning and want to give them away – you’re in luck. The city’s spring giveaway weekend is just around the corner.
This year’s “free” weekend takes places on May 9 and 10 and gives Winnipeg residents the opportunity to find a new owner for those reusable, unwanted items taking up space or to browse the curbs for some great finds.
To give away unwanted items, place them at the curb on your front street, labelled with either a ‘FREE’ sticker or sign.
READ MORE: Winnipeg yard waste pickup begins
If you’re cruising the city for treasures, take only the items at the curb marked “FREE.” Check all items closely to ensure they are safe and in good condition before you put them in your vehicle or bring them into your home. Don’t walk or drive on private lawns or gardens and don’t discard any items on private property. Obey traffic laws at all times and watch out for children.
The City of Winnipeg outlines what can and can’t be given away.
Examples of giveaway items include:
- Books, CDs and DVDs
- Furniture, electronics and small appliances
- Sports equipment and toys
- Yard and gardening tools and equipment (i.e. lawn mowers, snow blowers, rakes, and shovels)
- Kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans
- Unwanted gifts
- Construction material (i.e. nails, paint, and wood)
Examples of items that should NOT be given away:
- Items that could be unsafe.
- Items infested with bed bugs (i.e. mattresses, furniture, and bedding).
- Toilets (with a flush volume of 13 litres or more).
Posted by Alison O'Toole Written by © Shaw Media, 2015