Summer has sadly come to a close, and fall time is here!
So what next? Get that home ready for Fall! Here are some useful tips-
- Check for drafts - replace seals and/or repair caulking around windows and doors
- Give your furnace a physical - hire a professional to check for leaks & efficiency; change the filter
- A/C into hibernation mode - if you have central air, be sure to cover your outdoor A/C unit. Wall & window units may be covered as well or removed until next use.
- Program that Thermostat - setting your thermostat to lower temps at times when you are away can lead to savings in heating costs.
- TESTING, TESTING! - test smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they are in good working order
- Drain all outdoor faucets and irrigation systems to avoid freezing and bursting of water lines
- Check out the roof & gutters - check for any deficiencies, damage or loose shingles, etc. Clean out the eavestroughs, removing debris, leaves and check for leaks.
- Inspect the building envelope - repair any cracks, holes in siding, stucco, etc.
- Load up on Firewood! - Have a professional inspect the fireplace to ensure it is in good working order.
- Flower pots & seasonal furniture - bring in flower pots and outdoor furniture for safe keeping over the winter months, and to maintain their condition.
- General cleaning & organization - start packing away the summer-ware, and pull out the fall/winter apparel. Get rid of old newspapers, hazardous home chemicals, or items no longer serving any purpose. Make sure heat-producing appliances have ample space around them.