Regular home inspection and maintenance is one of the best ways to protect your investment by preserving the value of your home. Following a regular schedule of seasonal maintenance can prevent many of the most common and costly problems before they occur, and this preemptive care will do wonders for protecting your investment and making your home a healthy and safe place to live.
The majority of home maintenance activities are seasonal: in autumn you prepare your home for the winter (usually the harshest season for our homes), in the winter months it is necessary to perform routine maintenance and check your home for potential problems and to take corrective action before the damage gets worse, springtime is when we check for any damage incurred during the winter, start repairs, and prepare for warmer weather, and during the summer it is important to perform maintenance activities such as repairing steps and walkways, painting, and checking the roof and chimney.
Some general maintenance tips include:
1. Make sure that your air vents are not blocked by snow or other debris, both inside and outside the home
2. Check your home for safety hazards, such as a loose handrail, on a regular basis
3. Test the ground fault circuit interrupters monthly by pushing the test button, which will cause the reset button to pop up
4. Make sure that electrical outlets are equipped with safety plugs if there are children in the home
6. Check and clean range hood filters on a monthly basis
By performing regular maintenance activities throughout the year, including important season-specific maintenance, you will not only make your home a healthier and safer place to live for you and your family, but you will also preserve the value of your home. Regular maintenance helps resolve issues before they occur and identifies potential problems before they spiral out of control, so the time you invest in regular maintenance is sure to be rewarded with a higher value for your home.