8 Week countdown to listing your home.
Although there is no "wrong" time to list your home, there are some months that are typically busier than others. With the busiest time (spring) behind us, the next best time to sell your home is in the fall after the kids have gone back to school and a routine has been established.
That means the time to start preparing your home for sale is now! With a little planning, over the next 8 weeks you can get your home ready to sell for top dollar and still enjoy the summer. So let's get started!
- Start by taking a thorough and critical look at your home starting with the outside front. Pretend you are a buyer and scrutinize every detail.
- If you are considering a pre-listing inspection now would be the time to get that done.
- Make a list of major and minor jobs that need to be done and any other jobs you would like to do if time permits.
- Arrange to get quotes for the jobs you don't want to tackle yourself. Make sure these professionals can accomodate your deadline and your budget.
- As hard as it may be, emotionally detach yourself from the memories and see your home as an item for sale. Buyers will make up their minds in the first 8 to 15 seconds whether or not your home is "the one" for them and it needs to appeal to as many people as possible. Now is not the time to be experimenting with vibrant paint colours.
- Think 4 key categories: De-clutter, Repair, Rejuvenate, and Clean
- Call me in for a preliminary consultation. I can give you lots of information to get you started.
If you really don't know where to start or you don't have the time, consider a professional stager. Staging your home should be an investment not an expense. With proper staging you will get more for your home.
There! You are off to a good start.
Next week. Tips for de-cluttering and the repairs most often required.