Are you a dog owner? Looking for a pet-friendly park to bring your pet?
Barrie currently has 2 off leash parks for dogs, and additional parks are being considered in the city. Off leash parks are a great place to let your dog run freely, and socialize with other dogs. Rules and regulations are below.
Here is what you need to know about Barrie's Off Leash Parks.
A)This is a secure, fenced in location. Once area is for small dogs (under 30 lbs) and the other is for larger dogs over 30lbs.
B) Unsecured natural area. At the Barrie Molson Centre there are unsecured areas beyond the fences that your dog is allowed to run freely. Because it is unsecured, you should use at your own risk.
A) The Sunnidale location has a double gated, wire fenced in area for the off leash park.
B) Unsecured natural area beyond the fenced location. Use at your own risk.
Both the Molson Park and Sunnidale locations have free parking available. Poison ivy exists at both parks, so use with caution. Be familiar with the parks rules and regulations:
Rules & Regulations
- These are NOT supervised facilities. People and dogs visiting the dog park do so at their own risk.
- Owners will be held liable for all actions of their dogs.
- Dogs must be leashed when entering and exiting the off-leash areas.
- Owners must be present, with a leash for each dog, and in view of their dog(s) at all times.
- Aggressive dogs are not permitted in the off-leash area. Owners will be prosecuted and are liable for all damages and injuries subject to the provisions of the Dog Owners Liability Act.
- All dogs must have a current license and rabies vaccination. Dog licenses must be affixed to the dog.
- Dog feces must be picked up and disposed of by the owner in the receptacles provided.
- No more than two dogs per owner within the DOLRA area. Unattended dogs that are tied up outside the DOLRA are not permitted.
- No people-food, breakables, spiked or chain link collars permitted in the off-leash area.
- All dogs must be leashed outside of the Dog park while in Sunnidale Park as per City of Barrie Animal Control By-Law.
- Dog park is not recommended for children under the age of 18. The parent or guardian is advised to closely supervise their children at all times.
- This park is for the enjoyment of people and their canine pets. No other animals allowed.
** Pit Bull Type Dogs must be leashed and muzzled at all times
For more information visit the City of Barrie website
Other useful links: