Changes to Curbside Collection Start Monday
Friday, April 04, 2014
(Barrie, ON) Beginning Monday, April 7, some Barrie residents will have to put their garbage, recycling and organics at the curb on a different day. In addition to the collection day changes, all residents will be able to add more items to their blue box such as empty aerosol cans, empty dry paint cans and plastic bags.
A map showing all the new curbside collection routes can be found at barrie.ca/RethinkWaste. The changes are all happening as part of a new waste collection and processing contract with Progressive Waste Solutions.
Progressive will be using a fleet of 19 compressed natural gas trucks—8 garbage and organics trucks which are split 70/30 to keep the materials separate, 9 recycling trucks, split 60/40 between grey and blue box materials and 2 yard waste trucks.
The compressed natural gas trucks offer several benefits over diesel such as:
• Affordable: substantially reduced fuel costs when compared to diesel
• Clean: 23% less Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions, compared to diesel
• Quiet: 10 decibels more quiet than a diesel truck
• Foreign Fuel Independence: 98% of fuel supplied from the US and Canada
The trucks are also equipped with new technology features to enhance customer service and improve safety, including In Vehicle System (IVS) with GPS tracking and four on-board cameras.
Residents who are unsure if they are affected by the route changes can confirm by:
• Visiting Discover Barrie (maps.barrie.ca) and search your address (click on City Services> Garbage Collection, then ‘Searches’ in the top left corner)
• Calling 705-739-4219 (8:30 – 4:30, Monday to Friday)
• Providing your address to the City via Facebook (facebook.com/cityofbarrie) (sending a direct message with your address is recommended)