- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Vanilla frosting of your choice
- Red and green paste food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness.
- Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters.
- Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Tint some of the frosting red and some green.
- Decorate cookies.
Yield: 5 dozen.