The easiest way to get lots of jam into the center of these kid-friendly favorites is to use the back of a melon baller or measuring spoon to make the "thumbprint."
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 18 min
Oven Temp: 350
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 cup(s) sugar
- 3/4 cup(s) (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened, substitute margarine
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoon(s) milk
- 2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup(s) favorite seedless jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- On waxed paper, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat sugar and butter until creamy. Add egg, milk, and vanilla; beat until well blended. Reduce speed to low; beat in flour mixture just until blended.
- Drop dough by rounded measuring tablespoons, 2 inches apart, onto ungreased large cookie sheet. Bake 6 minutes. Remove cookie sheet from oven.
- Working quickly, with greased rounded measuring teaspoon or large end of melon baller, gently press a small indentation in center of each cookie, making sure not to press all the way through. Fill each indentation with rounded 1/2 teaspoon jam.
- Return cookies to oven and bake 12 to 14 minutes longer or until edges are browned. Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough and jam.