Home Staging - the act of preparing a residence for sale with the goal of selling quickly and for more money.
If you've ever gone through a model home, you probably noticed that the home was impeccably decorated, the furniture placed just right, the colour scheme was complimentary, and it smelled lovely. This is the art of home staging & decorating.
Barrie is home of many talented home stagers and decorators. Home Stagers are usually trained or certified but it is not required, and if you are not sure where to start I am happy to recommend a service provider to you.
Tips on what makes your home look dated and turns off potential buyers:
- pet odors
- old dated flooring
- dated inefficient windows
- a roof that needs new shingles
- wall to wall shag carpet from the '70s
- peeling wallpaper
- chipping paint
and so on...
If you have major updates to do to your home, it is best do to them first, before you list your house.
Here a few simple DYI staging & decorating tips I have learned from years in the Barrie real estate business.
- De-clutter. Put away any miss-matched furniture and knick knacks and keep it simple.
- Fresh paint! Yes a simple can of fresh paint does so much to update your home. If you are repainting you should choose neutral tones.
- If you have large areas of dated wallpaper, or wallpaper borders, remove it, sand, and repaint. Remember potential buyers want to simply "move in." Not everyone is looking for a "fixer upper."
- Paint dated tiles in the bathroom. Ask your local paint center about the proper primer and paint for tiles, but the results are very good.
- Repaint dated kitchen cupboards, and even replace old knobs and handles. This will really update your kitchen!
- Replace the front door if needed.
- Rent a carpet cleaner and shampoo carpets, perhaps polish or stain your hardwood and make it new again. Or a new area rug brightens up a room too.
- Update your decor.......art, throw pillows, decorative items. Create a fresh clean atmosphere.
- Tidy up! One of the biggest turn offs for potential buyers is a messy home! Remember, to make beds, wash the dishes etc. You want the potential buyers to focus on the home itself, not the cleaning.
- Plants, and fresh flowers are another easy DIY staging tip.
- Outside, tidy up the yard, and set up planters, a new welcome mat perhaps?
Need more tips? Feel free to contact me anytime! Think someone else would benefit from this article? Feel free to share it on social media.
Barrie Home Staging, Barrie Real Estate, Barrie, Simcoe County, Cottage Country.