Mould Matters

Here is a re-print of an informative article I recently read that explained mould in very clear terms.  During the summer months, people often see signs of mould and may want to know more about it...

While exposure to indoor mould doesn't always pose a health threat, it can cause problems for people with sensitivities.  Spores travel easily through indoor air, triggering allergic symptoms like eye and skin irritations; runny nose and watery eyes; respiratory difficulties like coughing and wheezing; and even headaches and flu-like symptoms.

Mould requires certain conditions in order to thrive: lack of air circulation, humidity/moisture, and lack of light. It is no wonder then that mould is most commonly found in bathrooms and kitchens.  To prevent it from growing in these areas, you need to address those conditions.

- LACK OF AIR CIRCULATION - Your kitchen and bathrooms should have exhaust fans; be sure to use them while cooking or showering. If you don't have fans, install them, or at least open a window.

-HUMIDITY / MOISTURE - Exhaust fans and open windows help, but where humidity / moisture is a significant problem, a dehumidifier may be needed. Don't let surfaces stay wet - squeegee tubs / showers and wipe down kitchen and bathroom surfaces with a dry cloth. Always hang damp cloths and towels.

- LACK OF LIGHT - Make sure your kitchen and bathrooms are well lit. Turn the lights on when showering and leave them on for 15 minutes or so after your shower, when your bathroom is most wet. Allow as much natural light as possible into rooms where moisture is an issue.

If you currently have mould in your kitchen or bathrooms, there are plenty of commercial cleaning products that claim to eliminate it. But why spend money on toxic cleaners when you likely already have products at home that will do the trick?

* Vinegar is highly effective in killing mould when left to sit on the problem area. You don't need to water it down, but if its odour is too much, just add a bit of essential oil.

* Bleach and ammonia work for non-porous surfaces of which there are many in kitchens and bathrooms, though you might not want to use them in small spaces due to harsh fumes.

* Solutions of water and either Borax or baking soda can also be used - both are natural deodourizers that, when left on to dry, help to  prevent the regrowth of mould.

* Remember that serious mould problems are best tackled by a professional mould removal company. Consider asking someone on The Jamie Dann Team for suggestions of who to use.

Finally, did you know there is such thing as mould and mildew-resistant paint? Specially formulated for moisture-prone areas like kitchens and bathrooms, the paint contains chemicals that won't kill mould (which is why it is imperative that surfaces be mould-free before this application), but will inhibit its growth. Look into this product as a preventative measure.                               *market connections 2011

Hope that you found this article to be informative and helpful.

Until next time!

The Jamie Dann Team

Blog Archives

Tags