Arrange and bake these nachos on an ovenproof platter or shallow baking dish, or use several smaller baking dishes or ovenproof plates.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped, optional
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Tortilla chips, 1 large bag
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- jalapeno pepper rings or diced jalapeno peppers
- 3 to 4 cups shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend
**Optional Toppings and Sauces**
- chopped cilantro
- sour cream
Brown the ground beef and onions over medium heat until beef is no longer pink and onions are softened. Add green bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, refried beans, and tomato sauce. Simmer over low heat for about 15 to 20 minutes.
Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
Heat oven to 375°. F.
Spread some of the beef and bean mixture on each chip and arrange the chips in a single layer on the large baking dish or ovenproof plate, or use smaller ovenproof plates or dishes. Sprinkle the layer with a little of the diced tomato, sliced green onions, and jalapeno peppers.
Sprinkle each chip with some of the cheese and make another layer of chips. Repeat with the tomato, green onions, peppers, and top with more cheese.
Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Makes enough for 6 to 8 people.