Mediterranean Tuna Patties
Couscous adds unique texture to these delicious patties, Serve with Lemon Yogurt Sauce, chopped tomato salad and wedges of Greek-style pita bread.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whole wheat couscous
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 2 cans (each 6 oz/170 g) water-packed flaked tuna, drained
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped kalamata_olives
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped oil-packed sun-dried_tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) light mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable_oil
In large bowl, combine couscous, lemon juice and cumin. Pour in 1/2 cup (125 mL) boiling water; cover and let stand until absorbed, about 5 minutes. Fluff with fork. Let cool.
Add tuna, olives, tomatoes, mayonnaise, garlic, eggs, parsley, salt and pepper; toss with fork to combine.
With wet hands, form into six 3/4-inch (2 cm) thick patties, pressing firmly. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to firm up. (Make-ahead: Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.)
In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; fry patties, turning once, until golden, about 8 minutes.
Lemon Yogurt Sauce
- 1/3cup(75 mL) Balkan-style plain yogurt
- 3 tbsp(45 mL) light mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
In small bowl, stir together yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice and salt. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.)