Regular maintenance can help extend the life of your central air conditioning system. It is best to remember your air conditioner two times per year.
1. In the fall well before the first snowfall.
2. In the spring a month before the cooling season.
Here are some tips for maintaining your Heating and Cooling system:
*Consider buying an Air Conditioning Cover (or a BBQ cover will do) and cover the unit in the wintertime.
*Check your furnaces air filter monthly, and clean or replace it as necessary. Changing your filter regularly helps keep dust from collecting on the evaporator coil and can also cut energy usage by 5 to 15 percent, according to the Air-Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute.
*Trim shrubs and plants near the condensing unit so it has adequate air circulation. Clear grass clippings and other debris from the area.
*Clean the condenser periodically by spraying it with water. Don't spray high pressure water on the exterior as there are very thin metal fins that can easily bend.
* Consider planting trees to provide shade to the condenser. A unit operating in the shade uses as much as 10% less electricity than the same one operating in the sun, according to the U.S. Department of Energy.
* Keep the vents in your home clear and unobstructed furniture to allow for maximum air flow.
* Have your system "tuned up" annually, at least a month before the cooling season starts.