Easy Ways to Green Your Home
Spring is a great time to get a jump on projects around the home that will reduce your environmental impact.
Here are some reminders to help make this year’s spring cleaning safe, healthy, and easy:
- Household staples such as vinegar, lemon juice and baking soda can make effective inexpensive, cleaning solutions.
- Prevent leaks. Insulating, weather-stripping or caulking around windows and doors in your house could save you in cooling costs.
- Keeping household appliances clean and up to date can significantly curb your household’s energy consumption. Be sure to clean the filter or coils monthly on your air conditioner and refrigerator to ensure they are working efficiently.
- Adjust your thermostat. A difference of just two degrees you could reduce your household’s carbon dioxide emission by 2,000 pounds.
- Switch out those high watt light bulbs for CFL types
- Wash laundry in cold water and hang to dry
- By just being aware of the choices we make everyday, we can make a difference.