The greater Toronto area is one of the most competitive housing markets in Canada.There are many people striving to be the first to sell their homes, and to sell them for the highest price possible.While most everyone has good intentions, not everyone may have the tool set necessary to sell their home for the highest possible price. Below I have outlined ten simple steps to give you an upper hand at keeping your home’s value competitive with other similar homes for sale in the GTA.
- Hire a pro.Great local Realtors will most likely have a team of local expert staging consultants.If something in your home needs to be changed, a good Realtor will know exactly who to trust with the job to make sure all construction is completed properly, and is up to code and on time for listing day.
- Landscaping.Curb appeal helps boost the value of your home.A manicured front yard attracts home buyers to take a closer look at the rest of the property. Listing pictures also focus on the front of the house, so it is important to make your home stand out at first glance. The backyard is often used as a space to entertain guests, therefore a well thought out backyard can add tremendous value to your home.Try to section-off your backyard into separate spaces with seating, tables, shade, and add an entertainment factor unique to each arranged area. Entertainment factors could be a fire place, fountain, speaker system, or even an outdoor checkers matt.A well maintained outdoor perimeter can be the determining factor as to whether a house sells or not.
- Maintain Green Lawns.If you are investing time and effort into your outdoor area, make sure you do what is necessary to keep your lawn as green and as lush as possible. Nothing takes away from curb appeal like a dying lawn.
- Power wash walkways.Make sure to regularly power wash your walkways and drive way to keep them looking as unused as you can.Replacing pavement and cement can be costly and can deter home buyers from purchasing your house.A simple power wash can go a long way to remove stains and discoloring that could be mistaken as a reason for your walkway or driveway to need replacement.
- Replace Exterior Doors.Another important step along the road in preparing your home for sale, is replacing all exterior doors.If the doors are 10 years or older, it may be time for fresh new doors.The energy savings from new doors alone is enough to entice home buyers to choose your home over the competition, even at an increased price.The way a new door looks and feels cannot be duplicated by an old door.The curb appeal added is very valuable.
- Kitchen renovations hold big returns.If your kitchen is dated, you will definitely want to talk to your local Realtor about what can be done.A professional Realtor will know how much to invest into a renovation in order to yield the greatest return.It is important to remember the point of diminishing returns.Your market place dictates the maximum value a home will sell for.If your neighbour’s kitchens are not worth much, you should be careful how much money you sink into your renovation.The general rule of thumb for kitchen renovation is cabinets, cupboards, countertops, floors, and appliances.Kitchens and bathrooms are generally the most expensive rooms in a house, but they also add the most value to a home.When selling your home be sure to consider updating floors, kitchens and bathrooms.A professional can help you understand how to maximize the profitability of a home renovation.
- Choose current trending paint colors. A fresh coat of paint consisting of greys and modern neutrals can help a home buyer picture them in the space, making it easier for them to consider buying the home.The less work a buyer has to do to imagine the home becoming their own, the faster they will make it their home.
- Stage the entire home.Sellers who spent $500 on staging recovered over 343% of the cost when they sold their home.When selling your home it is imperative that it looks its absolute best to the general public.Not everyone, for example, might think yellow is a great color or that dark is cozy.Let an unbiased professional who understands the market come in to re arrange your home in order to maximize the living space to attract the most people possible.Also certain cultures prefer things a certain way, so it is always important to consult with a local stager to make sure your home appeals to the local demographic.
- Clean windows.Make sure your windows have been recently cleaned before placing your house on the market.Clean windows allow more natural light into your home and compliment all efforts taken to appeal to potential buyers.
- Keep your house clean.If your home is consistently clean, the number of things that need to be replaced will dramatically decrease.A clean home is a healthy home and a home that needs less work done.Your home is an investment and what you give will determine what you get.If you would like to make the most from your investment into your home, take care of it and put the effort in where it matters.
Selling a home can be a daunting task to the unprepared home owner.If you put in the work necessary to keep your home looking nice throughout the year and renovate when and where it is needed, once it comes time to sell it will be easy.In order to get the most for your property remember to consult with a local Realtor in order to better understand your market and find professionals that are known for increasing resale value.If you think of everything you do to upkeep your home as an investment, you will constantly be making money.Remember to appeal to the masses and make sure that the average person who will be considering purchasing your home could picture themselves living in the space in order to sell your home fast and for the highest possible price.The GTA is a competitive housing market, so make sure you have what it takes to compete!