While many people associate selling a home with spring and summertime, winter can also be a great time to sell your home. Below I have listed 10 great reasons to consider selling your home in the winter.
1. Less Competition. During the Summer months, real estate sales are at the highest of the year. The snow and cold weather of the winter discourages home owners from selling. This is the perfect time to take on the cold weather when moving and list your house to sell. Standing out in this competitive sellers market is difficult, but listing to sell in the winter makes it very easy. People still need to move so why not take advantage of the competitive edge the winter months provide.
2. Interest rates are at an all time low (but for how much longer?). Lock in an interest rate while the opportunity is still available.The Royal Bank of Canada has speculated that the forecast-ed Overnight Rate will stay the same going into the first quarter of 2015, but will likely rise in the second quarter to 1.25, then 1.50 in the third and 1.75 in the fourth. (Five year2015 forecasted rate Q1:2.35 , Q2:2.50, Q3:2.75, Q4:3.0)
3. Home buyers mean business. Real buyers aren’t going to open houses to play around, they mean business. Most true buyers are perfectly willing to throw on hats and mitts and putting up with a little cold to find their true dream home.
4. It's always warm and cozy on the web! Winter weather doesn’t stop home buyers from looking online, since the majority of home sales these days begin online, there is absolutely no reason not to promote your home on the web in the winter months.
5. Some people don't have a choice in the matter. Employment related home buyers may not have the luxury of opting for summer months and do not have an option of when they would like to buy
6. Merry Christmas to all! Christmas decorations are a great way to show off the function-ability of your home and potential for decorating ideas. Use the beauty of the Christmas season to your advantage!
7. Happy holidays! Most people have much more time off during the holiday season to research potential homes and visit open houses all week long.
8. Loan processing. Loans can often be processed much more quickly during the winter months as there is much less of a backlog in the processing queue. Sometimes just a few days can make all the difference.
9. Holiday treats! Baking holiday cookies and treats to fill the home with enticing aromas before the prospective buyers arrive will make them feel like they are home on Christmas morning! Leaving those holiday treats and hot chocolate for your guests will be sure to win your home extra marks for prospective buyers.
10. The sooner the better. Why wait? The sooner you list your home to sell the sooner you are in the new home of your dreams. Why miss out on a potential sale by waiting out the winter months!