Using Candles Safely

Like most home products, candles are safe as long as you use them properly. The problem is thinking that as long as a candle doesn't fall over or come into contact with anything flammable, it is okay. 
However, according to the National Candle Association ( there's more you can do to ensure candle safety.
• Do not place candles where they can be knocked over by pets. (Cats can be particularly fascinated by the flickering light.)
• Trim the wick to 1/4 inch before burning. A long wick can cause the candle to drip.
• Don't burn a candle all the way down. At about two inches, put the candle out. 
• Despite what you see in movies, don’t try to bravely extinguish a candle with your fingers. 
• Avoid using a candle during a power outage. Use flashlights instead.
• Never use a candle as a night light next to your bed.
And, of course, never leave a candle burning unattended. If you need to leave the room, put the candle out. 

Blog Archives