Homeowner Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program — Homeowner RRAP

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) offers financial assistance to low-income homeowners for mandatory home repairs that will preserve the quality of affordable housing. The program helps people who live in substandard dwellings and cannot afford to pay for necessary repairs to their home.

Who Can Apply?

Homeowners may qualify for assistance if your property is eligible and if your total household income is at or below the Income Threshold set by CMHC.

Eligible Properties

Your property may be eligible for Homeowner RRAP if your home is:

  • valued below a certain amount;
  • at least five years old; and
  • substandard and needs major repairs in one of the following areas: heating, structural, electrical, plumbing and fire safety.

Your home may also qualify if work is needed to help reduce overcrowding.

Eligible Repairs

In general, mandatory repairs related to heating, structural, electrical, plumbing and fire safety are eligible for funding under Homeowner RRAP. The quality of the repairs should ensure the useful life of your home for at least 15 years.

All work required to bring your home up to minimum standards of health and safety must be completed in order to receive RRAP assistance.

If the cost of mandatory repairs is more than the maximum forgivable loan available, you, as the owner, will be required to cover the additional cost.

Any repairs carried out before the Homeowner RRAP loan is approved in writing are not eligible.

Financial Assistance

Assistance is in the form of a fully forgivable loan. The loan does not have to be repaid if you agree to continue to own and live in this house during the earning period, which could be up to five years (the loan forgiveness period). The amount you could receive is based on the cost of mandatory repairs and the area in which you live.  The maximum amount you could receive varies according to the three geographic zones:

  Maximum Loan/Unit
Zone 1:
Southern areas of Canada
Zone 2:
Northern areas
Zone 3:
Far northern areas
Additional assistance may be available in areas defined as remote.

Go to the Renovation Programs Pre-Application Tool for more information specific to your geographic area.

Other Assistance Available

If your home needs modifications to make it accessible for a person with a disability, you may be eligible for assistance under RRAP for Persons with Disabilities. Other programs are also available for seniors, rental properties, and for the creation of secondary and garden suites.

Contact Us

To find out how to apply for financial assistance or for more information about these programs please call CMHC toll free at 1-800-668-2642

Carol Ireland

Carol Ireland

Sales Representative
CENTURY 21 Millennium Inc., Brokerage*
Contact Me

Blog Archives