Ontario CO alarm law hoped to inspire other provinces

A new Ontario law mandating the installation of at least one CSA-approved carbon monoxide (CO) alarm in homes with a fuel-fired device or attached garage, will hopefully lead to more provinces adopting similar legislation, says the head of a foundation dedicated to victims.

John Gignac is co-chairman of the Hawkins-Gignac Foundation for CO Education, a charity he created following the death of his niece Laurie Hawkins, her husband and two children from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning in 2008. A blocked gas fireplace vent forced the deadly gas back into their home. They did not have a CO alarm.

“We are optimistic this Ontario law will be the tipping point for others across Canada,” says Gignac, a former firefighter. “These deaths are preventable – and a law of this kind indicates to citizens just how serious this issue is.”

Given royal assent in November 2013, the Ontario law is expected to take effect on July 1 this year with a compliance phase-in period. The Yukon government was first in Canada to enact a carbon monoxide alarm law in early 2013, following five deaths there.

Many jurisdictions have adopted bylaws requiring carbon monoxide alarms, a good first step, Gignac believes. But provincial or even a national law is the best route to go to save lives, he says.

The Hawkins-Gignac Foundation advocates the following safety steps:

• Ensure that CO alarms are fully powered and installed outside bedrooms, not in or near furnace rooms. One per floor is optimal.

• Replace any carbon monoxide alarms manufactured before 2008. Their lifespan is 7-10 years, depending on brand.

• Have a licensed technician service heating systems, vents and appliances each year.

• Feeling like you have the flu without a fever, and feeling better when you leave the house, are telltale signs of CO in your home.

• Consider the newest technology available. The “worry free” alarms, for example, now have sealed, 10-year batteries that never need changing. And CO alarms with a continuous digital display (not push-button) let you see that your family is safe or make you aware of a CO problem before dangerous levels are reached.

More information about this topic is available at www.endthesilence.ca.

There are no comments

Thank you! Your comment has been submitted and is awaiting approval.

Carol Ireland

Carol Ireland

Sales Representative
CENTURY 21 Millennium Inc., Brokerage*
Contact Me

Blog Archives