In fall, prepare your home and yard for cooler temperatures, falling leaves and more hours spent indoors.
- Clean gutters and downspouts. Get information on maintaining your gutters.
- Inspect roof and chimney for cracks and damage.
- Rake leaves and shred to use as mulch or dispose of them based on local guidelines.
- Close or install storm windows.
- Remove hoses from spigots and drain and store indoors, coiled and flat.
- Store outdoor furniture and cushions.
- Test snow blower and have it professionally serviced if necessary.
- Rake Leaves
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors when you set clocks back in the fall. See our carbon monoxide detector buying guide. Learn more about detecting and preventing carbon monoxide.
- Check windows and doors for weather-tightness and install weather stripping where it's needed. Check out our tips on weather stripping windows and doors.
- Have furnace professionally inspected.
- If needed, set traps for rodents.
- Dust blinds and vacuum curtains throughout your house.
- Clean kitchen and bathroom cabinets and throw away outdated food, medicine and cosmetics
Information borrowed from the Lowe's website!