According to Real Estate Lawyer Mark Weisleder and according to the Ontario Human Rights Code, there are certain things that can and cannot be asked of a Tenant.
You CANNOT ask: - Are you married, single or divorced?
- What is your ethnic background?
- Do you plan to have more children?
- Will your family be visiting?
You CAN ask; - How many people will be living with you and what are their names
- Where do you work?
- May I see your references?
- What is your income?
- What kind of pets do you keep?
- Will you be conducting a homebased business?
- May I do a credit check on you?