Here are some easy steps, to help PREVENT Carbon Monoxide in your home!
- Fuel-burning appliances (furnace, H/W tank, fireplace, gas stove etc) should be checked regularly by a qualified technician!
- Furnace filter should be checked monthly and replaced (if needed).
- Indoor & outdoor vents and chimneys should be cleared of debris, snow and ice .
- Area around fuel-burning appliances should be kept clutter free!
- Flame of all natural gas appliances checked regularly (should be blue).
- Adequate air supply (nearby window opened) when using a wood burning fireplace.
- Vehicles never idled in garage, even with the overhead door open.
To help DETECT Carbon Monoxide in your home
- CO detector(s) installed and maintained according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Expiry date written on detector(s), with marker.
- Replace batteries annually, if applicable.