Fall Tips to prepare your home, for the colder month’s ahead! (Part 2)
Exterior – House & Garage;
- Check drive and sidewalks for cracks or heaves – repair if possible.
- Check the ground slope around the foundation and correct as required.
- Check roof, using binoculars or a ladder. Try not to walk on it! If anything is noticed have a professional come and repair. Pay attention to valleys and around the chimney and any skylights.
- Clean and repair gutters and then consider “gutter guards” to prevent leaves and other debris from getting stuck in there. Leave the downspouts, down during the winter months, in case of thaws, to keep water away from the foundation.
- Check outdoor lighting and replace bulbs and covers if necessary.
- Check and tighten up stairs and handrails.
- Winterize and protect the air-conditioning system.
- Walk around the exterior and seal up any openings (ideal access points for mice) windows, doors, vents, faucet outlets etc are prime locations. This also helps to prevent heat loss.
Interior –House & Garage;
- Check attic insulation and around the attic hatch – replace weather stripping as needed. Add insulation as needed.
- Check for drafts on exterior doors and windows – if needed replace the weather stripping and tighten up locks, too.
- Have the furnace serviced, replace filters and get in the habit of replacing them as needed (this will depend on type and household situation)
- If you have a wood burning fireplace, get the chimney swept and firebox checked!
- Check batteries on smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. There should be smoke detectors on every level of the home.