Buying a home is a big decision in any body's life and getting a thorough home inspection prior to buying is what I always recommend to home buyers. The use of modern technology in home inspection helps the home inspector, buyers and Realtors to know the latent defects. Thermal Camera is one such important tool that trained home inspectors use with the help of which they can detect many hidden defects.
Thermal camera is an advance technology device that forms an image using infra-red radiation, similar to a common camera that forms an image using visible lights. But, instead of the 450-750 manometer range of the visible light camera, infra-red cameras operate in wavelengths as long as 14,000 nm. In other words, infra-red camera is able to see things that normal eyes can't see.
Thermo-graphic surveillance (Infra-red) is the new generation in home inspection industry. Many hidden defects could be detected through thermal imaging such as;
- Unknown plumbing leaks,
- Water and moister accumulation behind the walls that could lead to mold,
- Hidden roof leaks,
- Missing, damaged or wet insulation;
- Heat loss and air infiltration in walls, ceilings, floors, windows and doors;
- Damaged or malfunctioning of radiant heating system or floor heating,
- Electrical deficiencies;
- Overloaded circuits and breakers;
- Furnace and heat pump blockage,
- Some structural defects.
For more detailed information about the Thermal Camera I would recommend talking to Ravi Kainth, Alliance Home Inspections (Cell 778-710-2030)