With mortgage markets still tight, it’s more important than ever to have a good credit score. Having a good score not only increases the odds of being approved for a mortgage, but it can also affect your rate, as the best interest rates are generally reserved for applicants with top credit scores.
Many consumers aren’t knowledgeable about their credit scores—or what impacts them. More importantly, they may not be aware of the many things they can do to improve their scores. Here are some tips that could help boost your score.
- Get a copy of your credit report. Review it carefully to ensure that it’s correct. If you find an error, contact the creditor to have it corrected. You can request a free copy of your report at www.equifax.ca or www.transunion.ca
- Pay your bills on time. This is probably one of the most important—and simple—things you can do to improve your credit score. Just pay your bills by their due date. Consider setting up automatic payments from your bank account to help you pay on time.
- Pay down your credit cards. Paying off your credit cards or loans will help increase your score, but so will paying down your balances. Try to keep your balances below 30 percent of your credit limit.
- Avoid closing unused credit cards. The older your credit history, the better. So keep your older cards, and use them periodically to keep the account active. Just be sure to pay your bill on time.
- Check your credit limits. If your lender has reported a lower credit limit than you actually have, your score will be depressed. Once the information is corrected, your score should improve.
For more tips on improving your credit, or for a referral to a mortgage lender in your area, call or email me today.
It's Your Career - I'm Here To Support YOU!
Real Estate Broker/Mortgage Broker/Manager
Century 21 United Realty Inc. Brokerage/CENTUM Core Financial Inc.
Independently Owned and Operated
CENTUM Core Financial Inc. Brokerage License #: 10642 Constantine Isslamow License#: M08005391